Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is it important to give to The Speyer Legacy School’s Annual Fund?
- Why should I support the Annual Fund when I already pay tuition?
- How much should I donate to the Annual Fund?
- Is my Annual Fund gift tax deductible?
- Where do the Annual Fund dollars go?
- Can donations be made to the Annual Fund at any time during the school year?
- What are the Annual Fund Giving Levels?
At Speyer, our amazing enrichment programs and low student-to-teacher ratio make it especially challenging to adequately fund these initiatives while keeping tuition at a competitive level. The Annual Fund provides the support to:
- Continue to expand and enrich a research-based learning environment for accelerated learners that nurtures both academic and emotional development.
- Equip faculty members with the resources necessary to remain informed about, and follow, best practices in the education of accelerated learners, including by providing a “no ceilings” curriculum.
- Augment financial aid to continue our commitment to a diverse and academically robust peer group that will enable our students to soar.
At Speyer, as at most independent schools, tuition and other earned income cover only a portion of the cost of educating each student, with the remainder made up by fundraising. Speyer is currently faced with the need to bridge the gap between tuition and the full cost of providing a unique and comprehensive education for each student. Contributions to the Annual Fund help to close this gap and are the highest priority for charitable giving at Speyer.
Annual Fund gifts to Speyer range in size from below $500 to above $25,000. While leadership gifts are important for the School's economic strength, every gift matters and every gift makes a difference. We ask each family to make a gift that is commensurate with both their financial capacity and desire to have an impact.
Speyer is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Unlike tuition fees, all contributions to the Annual Fund are deductible pursuant to the prevailing tax laws. All donors to the Annual Fund receive a letter noting their gift amount, date of gift, and the disclosure that no goods or services were provided.
Because of your generous financial support, Speyer was able to supplement our programs and facilities in many ways. 2014-2015 Annual Fund contributions helped support the following enhancements:
- We hired new faculty members and added the following positions: Learning Specialist, Math Specialist, Director of Psychological Services, and two Academic Technical Personnel.
- We provided additional professional development opportunities and technological resources to ensure our teachers continue to use the best means possible to cultivate self-awareness, confidence, and collaboration.
- We hired a Physical Education Program Coordinator, who will oversee the logistics of entering the American International Private School League with Speyer soccer, basketball, and track and field teams.
- We extended almost $3 million in financial assistance to our student body.