Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Annual Fund?
- Why should I support the Annual Fund when I already pay tuition?
- Who is being asked to participate in the Annual Fund?
- If I can’t make a large gift, does a small gift really make a difference?
- How much should I donate to the Annual Fund?
- Are Annual Fund gifts tax deductible?
- How can I make my gift?
- What are corporate matching gift programs? How do I know if my company participates?
- I can only make one gift to The Speyer Legacy School. Should I give to the Annual Fund or the InSpeyered Evening and Auction?
The Annual Fund is Speyer’s yearly fundraising campaign to support the school and to enrich the educational experience for each student. The Annual Fund supports Speyer by:
- Enhancing academic and co-curricular programming.
- Attracting and retaining the most talented faculty and staff.
- Providing financial aid for an economically diverse student body.
- Maintaining our facilities at 925 Ninth Avenue.
At Speyer, as at most independent schools, tuition and other earned income cover only a portion of the cost of educating each student, with the remainder made up by fundraising. Speyer is currently faced with the need to bridge the gap between tuition and the full cost of providing a comprehensive education for each student. Contributions to the Annual Fund help to close this gap and are the highest priority for charitable giving at Speyer.
Yes. Speyer is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Unlike tuition fees, all contributions to the Annual Fund are deductible pursuant to the prevailing tax laws. All donors to the Annual Fund receive a letter noting their gift amount, date of gift, and the disclosure that no goods or services were provided.
There are many ways to make a gift to the Annual Fund. We encourage you to choose an option that works best for you.
- Online: Make a secured donation here.
- Cash or Check. Personal checks made payable to The Speyer
Legacy School and cash donations can be mailed to: The Speyer Advancement
Office, 925 Ninth Avenue New York, NY 10019
- Securities. By making a gift of securities, you can avoid capital-gains taxes and receive a deduction for the transferred stock’s full market value. Please notify the Advancement Office at 212-581-4020 or email@example.com if you wish to make a gift of securities.
Corporate matching gift programs are charitable giving programs set up by corporations in which a company matches donations made by employees to eligible non-profit organizations. For example, if a donor works at Bank of America and donates $100 to The Speyer Legacy School, Bank of America will double the donation by also writing a check for $100. Please note that employees are responsible for submitting the required forms to their companies.
You can determine your eligibility and gain access to detailed corporate giving information about your employer by visiting Speyer’s website and searching the database of companies with matching gift programs on our Ways to Give page. If your company is not listed, please make sure to check with Human Resources as there are additional companies out there that offer matching gift opportunities.
We hope that everyone will participate in both the Annual Fund and the auction, but if you have one gift to make, it should be to the Annual Fund. The Annual Fund goes immediately into the school’s operating budget to support the ongoing needs of the school. The auction provides donors with a unique opportunity to support Speyer after they have made an Annual Fund gift. Additionally, gifts made to the auction do not count towards our Annual Fund participation percentages.